Monday, June 8, 2015

Kona Project - Kona Spice - Layer Cake - Carpenter's Wheel/Star

Kona Project - Kona Spice - Carpenter's Wheel/Star Block Pattern



Here I have taken a traditional quilt block called the Carpenter's Wheel/Star block and formed it into a large lap size quilt (74" x 74") that was made with layer cakes. You can add a border around to make it the size of a queen quilt if you'd like. Even though I have made this with solids this would also be perfect with scrap fabrics or layer cakes that are patterned to give it a scrappy look. I hope you enjoy this pattern that is easy to put together within a day or two.





Fabric:
   - One Layer Cake in Kona Spice (Or 3 yards)
   - One Layer Cake in Kona Snow (Or 3 yards) 
   - 1/2 yard Binding.
   - Backing 5 yards.


Piecing:
1. With 16 spice squares (10" x 10") and 16 snow squares (10" x 10") you will use my half square triangle method (the first way) to create the first block. Once done you will have 32 half square triangles that are 9.5" x 9.5"

2. You will cut 20 spice cake layer cake squares into 9.5" x 9.5" squares.

3. You will cut 16 snow cake layer cake squares into 9.5" x 9.5" squares.

4. Now start forming the quilt following the pattern below in rows.


Row 1:

Row 2:

Row 3:

Row 4:

Row 5:

Row 6:

Row 7:

Row 8:

5. Once you have finished your rows you will sew them together to complete your quilt! =)



 Now here comes the hard part... what should I quilt on it? This is where I am puzzled!!







3 comments:

  1. Love it, definitely need to try this one!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it, definitely need to try this one!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will do this one! I have plenty of Layer Cakes calling my name...

    ReplyDelete