Thursday, March 2, 2017

Joys Star - Free Quilt Pattern - Jelly Roll


Joys star is a quilt I've designed for my Husband's mom. Her name is Joyce. Sadly I have never made her a quilt and told myself I needed to do so now! When I designed this I wanted her first quilt from me to be very special. I wanted to do a twist on a Friendship star for the meaning of our family's joining together threw her son's and I wedding. My husband pick out the same fabric bundle that was used in our wedding quilt and we also choose turtles for the quilting since she LOOVES turtles. 

Today's Free Pattern will be given in the size for Crib. Finished Size is 40" x 48".  This pattern is available in 5 quilt sizes; Crib, Throw, Twin, Full/Queen, and King which is available on my website as a PDF download. Joys Star is also a beginner friendly quilt pattern that you can finish in no time.






Fabrics used are from Island Batiks in Drizzle! Backing and binding is also from Island Batiks in a Navy Paisley print that matches the collection perfectly!

http://letsquiltsomething.com/products/joys-star.html


Materials:  (Crib Size. Jelly Roll Strips are 2 1/2" wide by WOF. Sew with a 1/4" seam allowance. Binding uses 2 1/2" Strips. WOF is calculated at 42" wide.)
  • Print Fabric - 20 Jelly Roll Strips
  • Background Fabric - 20 Jelly Roll Strips
  • Binding -1/3 Yard
  • Backing - 1  2/3 Yards
  • Batting - 48" x 56"
Cutting:
  1. With both Print Jelly Roll Strips and Background Jelly Roll Strips sub-cut within each strip; 6 - 4 1/2 x 2 1/2" rectangles and 6 - 2 1/2" squares.
Piecing:

  1. With one background 4 ½” x 2 ½” rectangle and one print 4 ½” x 2 ½” rectangle, piece together on their longest side. Repeat this step to all your rectangles.       
  2. With one background 2 ½” square and one print 2 ½” square. You will first place your background square the left side cornering off on your print rectangle. Last place the print square on the solid left side cornering off the solid rectangle. Sew directly down the center, trim ¼” away from your stitch and press open. Repeat this step to all your blocks in step one.
  3. With the block made in step two, select four and rotate them every 90 degree to form this block below. Repeat this step until you have made 30 Blocks.


Forming your Quilt Top:
For the crib size quilt top you will have 6 rows and 5 blocks within each row.



I hope you all enjoyed this months pattern. If you have any question please fill free to go to www.letsquiltsomething.com and use the contact form. I normally can reply to you quickly Monday Through Friday! =)

5 comments:

  1. Good morning. Beautiful pattern! Is this a free pattern? When I click on the link it takes me to a page to purchase it.
    Thanks,
    Gale

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! The free pattern is only available in the size for crib this month. The other sizes Throw, Twin, Full/Queen, and King are available on the website for the PDF download. =)

      Delete
    2. Thanks Krystal. I probably skimmed that sentence instead of reading it!

      Delete
  2. Oh, this one is pretty!

    Krystal, I have a copy of your pattern "Falling Petals," but I can't find it on your site anymore. I wanted to link to it on my blog, since I'm working on a quilt using that pattern. Do you still have that pattern available? Maybe you renamed it? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! Falling Petals is now unavailable =/ I do apologize for that! Thank You!

      Delete