Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Quilt-A-Long Reminder! Plus Few Questions that have been ask.

Hello fellow quilters!

This is just a nice reminder saying don't forget to bust out some stash for grab yourself some lovely Layer Cakes for next weeks Quilt-Along!


Remember all you'll need is One Print Layer Cake and One Background Layer Cake (36 count minimum).  I'll be doing the Quilt- Along in Snowman Gatherings by Primitive Gatherings from Moda Fabrics. Now I have a few layer cakes within that print in which I'll be picking out the darker values.

Now I know this weekend is Labor Day and many of you all will be busy! No worries, the first two weeks will be cutting. Cutting isn't challenging, you can do all of the cutting within a week just in case you missed the first week but for beginners it may be a little difficult because it is "something new". Just remember it is not a rush or a race to see who finishes first. Take your time and most of all HAVE FUN! =D

Also this will be my very first quilt along so bare with me and throughout the quilt along, if you have any questions or are puzzled on a step, please fill free to email me by using the contact form on my website, and I will help you out as soon as I can. =)

Here are a few questions I have been asked so far:


Do we need to subscribe somewhere for the Quilt-Along?
No need to subscribe, BUT if you want updates just in case you forget, I recommend either following my blog AND/OR subscribe to my emailing list on my website, since I will be emailing weekly updates of new posts.

Where will the Quilt - Along take place?
Here on my blog! Starting September 1st (Friday), and every Friday after that will be the new updates.

Do we need a special curved ruler?
No curved rulers are required, BUT you will need to save the cardboard backing that comes with most layer cakes for templates, OR you may use template plastic that you can find at most Craft stores. What you'll be doing is printing out three pages from a PDF file that will be free on my website, you'll cut them out and trace them on either your cardboard or template plastic then cut those shapes out as well. These will then be what you'll be using your rotary cuter to cut your curved fabric pieces.

As a beginner curve piece, any tools you might recommend?
These tools are not mandatory but may help you. First I always sew with a 1/4" foot, so this can help you out as well. Another thing is while cutting curves you may find it slightly difficult with a standard 45mm rotary cutter, but a 28mm rotary is also perfect and makes it easier but not mandatory. Just take your time cutting pieces. Also another tip is, if you find that you are having problems getting the curve under your machine, or having a curve section bunch up; a nice quilting tool called a stiletto will help you out. Sometimes I use a stiletto to getting some of the little buggers down. lol Or if you are afraid to get your hands closer to the machines foot a stiletto will help you hold the fabric in place to do so.

Will the full pattern instructions be available at the beginning?
No, but the full pattern in 5 quilt sizes will be available for purchased two weeks after the final week. Only the template PDF files will be available for FREE on September 1st and will still be available as long as my Frosted Snowflakes pattern is still up and running. =P I'm doing this because I don't want others to get ahead, I'll like us to take our time together and have fun!

Will the quilt-along be written like standard pattern instructions?
Yes and no. Yes I will have standard Step 1, Step 2, but during the quilt along I will be giving more details so I can teach new curved piece-rs some tricks and tips; as well as inform them easy ways to tackle a curve. Once the pattern is aired fully, it will be written in the standard curve pattern style as if you are already familiar curved piecing.

If you have any other questions please feel free to contact me using the contact form on my website. 

Once again, thank you all so much for joining, I hope ya'll will have a wonderful time and I can't wait to see what prints or solids you'll be using!












2 comments:

  1. I can't see where to download the templates

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quilted along started yesterday 9/1/2017 you can find the post here. http://letsquiltsomething.blogspot.com/2017/09/frosted-snowflakes-quilt-along-week-1.html

      Delete